Thursday, August 12, 2010

Work


I had often used the word “work” as an answer to the question, what are you doing? It kept the specifics of what I was doing vague, and it didn’t prompt others to ask me what I was actually up to. It was simple. Though, because of the way I answered that question, I began to believe that the “work” I was doing was tedious.

That was over a year ago. I clearly did not have a reason behind what I did.

Everyone has something they're emotionally attached to. It can be family, friends, or people half way across the world who you’ve never met. It can even be a combination of those three. What ever the emotional ties may be, they no doubt become a personal force. It's not such a bad thing. Reflecting on what’s personally important to you is important. It shapes your motivations and ultimately defines your character. It helps you escape the trap of dogma - which is living as a result of other people’s thinking.

Then and now are two very different things. Back then, I did not have the drive nor the passion to do what I do today. I don’t want to say that I’ve found my passion, because that would mean the fun would be over. I would like to say that the emotions felt through my experiences have been like none other. I hope that this is just the beginning.

Taming these emotions leads to something magical. To me, the awe I feel when I look up at the cosmos or down into a microscope drives me deeply. There are discoveries just waiting to be discovered. And with them, a multitude of improvements. I think I'm in a love affair with the unknown. It is like a mystery where I am the detective, and humanity is the case I am solving. To somebody else this may seem like a silly child’s game, but that is where the magic hides. Work becomes indistinguishable from play.

No comments:

Post a Comment